Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Story Time!


Monday night was a big one in my book. It was the night I read Carolina her first night-night story. I selected one of my favorite books, "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak.

The book has always intrigued me - Max's wolf suit, the brightly detailed illustrations ("Let the wild rumpus start!"), the idea of eating someone up because you love them so (which I never got until I held baby Victoria). I also love Max's imagination, turning his room into the place where the wild things are.

Reading to Victoria when she was in utero was one of the highlights of that pregnancy. We read her children's books and Bible stories. She heard something almost every night, one reason - people tell us - she's as smart as she is. I feel I've dropped the ball with Carolina in some ways. I've known for several days that she was finally really hearing things outside her bubble, but it seems so hard to find quality reading time with her (and Melody). I've actually thought "I'm going to feel horribly guilty if Carolina isn't as gifted as Victoria because I'm not reading to her."

And this, I've found, is one of the traps of the second child. "Well, we did it this way the first time, so..." If there is anything this pregnancy has taught me it's that they're all different, and that's okay. I've been able to apply that to how Melody's feeling, but not in how I'm preparing myself for the arrival of my second daughter. Seven years ago I was a clueless kid, reading everything he could get his hands on...which is really easy to do when you're unemployed (err, job seeking). Now I've got two jobs and less time to really enjoy this pregnancy as much as I've wanted.

But really, it's going to be okay. We're just getting into the third trimester, so there really is time left to read to this baby and make her as smart as her big sis. In fact, I'm going to do something about that right now. Time to sneak into Victoria and Kaylei's room and grab a book off the shelf. I think tonight I introduce Carolina to "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day."

--Jeff

No comments: