Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Winds of change



We experienced some wild weather last night. Springfield and the counties surrounding Greene Co. experienced several severe thunderstorms and tornados. The wild weather began around 5 pm, and ended sometime after 4 pm. I thought it would never end, but was greatful to have awaken to the sound of silence (as opposed to the sound of sirens).

The storm experience helped me to gain some perspective regarding my own experiences in regards to this pregnancy. Prior to going to bed, I felt very disappointed in my current weight gain of 5 lbs in the past two weeks. I felt as if I had done all the things that should help me maintain my weight: worked out, ate balanced meals high in protein and low in sugar/fat. So I was really disappointed when I stepped on that scale and saw that I had gained 5 lbs.

However, after spending half the night in the hallway, fearing for our safety, I realized that health and safety are more important to me than the numbers on the scale. I have decided to change my outlook in the following ways:

1. I will continue to make healthy choices in my diet. I will ask myself, "Is this choice healthy for my child?"
2. I will continue to work out lightly, adding water aerobics to my schedule.
3. I will get more sleep at night. I will strive to be in bed by 10 pm.
4. I will keep a positive attitude, and remember that I am surrounded by amazing people.

Current weight gain: + 20 lbs @ 26 weeks

*Belly pics to follow!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Can't wait to see belly pics! Don't worry about the 5 lb weight gain. I varied so much throughout my pregnancy that there was no way to predict the end result. One time early on I gained 7 lbs in a month and then the next month it was just 2. Just take it day to day and make healthy choices and keep exercising! You are doing great!

Carrie said...

I heard about those storms. I am glad you and your family are safe. You are completely correct the most important thing is a healthy baby.

MamaKess said...

Thank you guys for your supportive words. I think that my positive attitude will help me stay more healthy than anything. PS--I started prenatal yoga...it's so FUN!!!